Hunters and sportsmen who reload their own ammunition often wonder what the best way is to measure gunpowder.
Larger grain pieces will take up more space in a shell casing but won’t offer enough firepower. Finer grains will be heavier and could result in powder overloading. The density of powder can also change over time.
Experts usually lean towards weighing your gun powder to get accurate measurements, and the easiest way to measure out accurate quantities of gunpowder is with the best powder trickler.
Best Powder Trickler Reviews
It can be hard to add the exact amount of grains to your scale because these particles can be so small. With a gun powder tickler in your gun safe, you can easily solve this common issue for good.
A gunpowder tickler is a very simple device that you can use to gradually increase the number of gunpowder grains in a container. These devices are manual and function by rotating a pin inside the trickler. The pin has a small hole inside that fills with a small amount of gunpowder when the opening is turned upwards.
When the opening is rotated downward, the gunpowder will slide back into the tube and that precise quantity of powder will be deposited onto your scale. You can keep adding small amounts of powder to your scale by turning the tube until you have the exact amount you need.
There are quite a few different types of powder tricklers available on the market. In this guide, we’re going to compare 5 of the best and most popular manual trickers to get for your reload kit.
The Hornaday powder trickler is at the top of our list because so many people bought it and loved its functionality. Most people who buy the Hornaday trickler do because Hornaday has so many measuring tools and loading accessories to choose from and all of these tools are compatible for easy loading.
This little trickler is made from durable plastic and the powder tube has an easy-grip handle so you can rotate it without your fingers slipping. The hopper or powder reservoir holds enough powder to prevent power charges.
This device is very easy to use. To get powder flowing, you simply need to fill the hopper and rotate the tube. The powder will automatically fall into the tube hole and slide down. It measures out extremely small quantities so you can get accurate readings that are precise to .10 of a grain of powder.
The Hornaday 050100 can be a little top-heavy because it’s light and not weighted. If you do decide to get this device then you might want to build your own powder trickler stand so you can firmly mount the powder dispenser for easy use.
- Dimensions – 4.25 x 4.5 x 2.6 Inches
- Weight – 2.72 Ounces
- Color – Red
- Main Materials – Plastic
- Type – Manual
- Versatility – Accurate to .10 of a grain of powder but small capacity which makes it preferable for small-caliber bullets
- Quite a popular brand and you can get the Hornaday scale to match
- The trickler is very easy to use
- It measures out very small amounts of powder with every turn
- Ideal for getting perfectly accurate gunpowder loads
- It’s best suited for smaller caliber bullets
- It offers a perfect powder charge
- You can get it at a very affordable price
- Perfect for use with electronic scales
- The base is a bit too light which results in a top-heavy design once you fill it with powder
- Some think the tube is might be too straight and doesn’t allow powder to move freely enough
- Non-adjustable base
- The tube is also non-adjustable and can’t be tilted
We feel that the Frankford Powder trickler might be a better investment than the one from Hornaday because this one has a heavier base. It’s a better powder dispenser for larger rounds because the powder reservoir is nice and big.
This Frankford Arsenal powder trickler is made from heavy machined steel and is treated with a powder coat surface that keeps it in good condition. Unlike most powder flow devices, this one comes with a dust cap that you can also use to extend the height of the manual powder trickler. When it’s not in use, you can keep it nice and closed so it’ll stay clean.
This device is extremely accurate since it measures small amounts of powder at a time. O rings create a firm seal around the tube to prevent stray powder from messing up your loading bench. If the Frankford arsenal had an adjustable tube and if the tube was just a little bit more angled, it would truly be a perfect gun powder trickler.
- Dimensions – 4 x 5 Inches
- Color – Blue
- Main Materials – Heavy machined steel
- Type – Manual
- Versatility – Large powder capacity and small powder adjustments is ideal for small to medium bullet loads
- Comes with a dust cover that doubles as a height extender
- It’s very easy and simple to use
- Ideal for different powder types
- Dispenses small amounts of powder into the powder dish at a time
- The larger capacity is perfect for loading larger rifle rounds
- The bottom is nice and heavy to keep the trickler from tipping over
- The height can’t be adjusted
- The trickler tube length and angle can’t be adjusted
- Some feel that the spin knob isn’t rotating smooth enough
The RCBS powder trickler is one of the best powder measuring devices you can buy because it’s so flexible. This device is height adjustable, the tube length is adjustable, and the angle can even be adjusted for easier powder flow.
The adjustability of this trickler makes it ideal for use on different electric scales. It’s also weighted with a solid metal design so it won’t simply tip over when you’re busy reloading ammunition.
- Dimensions – 7.88 x 5.88 x 2.25 inches with adjustable height
- Weight – 12.8 ounces
- Color – silver and green
- Main Materials – Metal
- Type – Manual
- Versatility – Compatible with different powders and can measure out as little as 1 – 2 grains of powder at a time
- The height is adjustable
- The RCBS powder trickler angle is adjustable
- It comes with a nozzle extender if you need a further reach into a scale
- The base is nice and heavy to keep the device from tipping over
- The trickler is made from heavy-duty materials
- Compatible with different types of powder
- It has a fine touch and allows you to measure only a couple of grains at a time
- The ease of cleaning is very convenient
- It can jam on occasion
- It can take quite a few turns or a bit of time for the powder to start flowing into the tube
- Capacity might be small for large rifle bullets
The Lyman Brass Smith is a great tool to get for your loading bench. This one will stay put while you measure out reloading powder thanks to its solid metal die-cast aluminum design with a weighted base that keeps it upright no matter how much powder you add to the reservoir.
The ergonomic powder trickler is adjustable in height and the powder funnel length is also extendible. The tool is very easy to use and allows for accurate powder weight measuring since you can rotate the tube and add the smallest quantities of powder to your powder bin at a time.
This tool is very easy to clean and you can easily spot leftover gunpowder residue in the reservoir thanks to its vivid colored design. There can be a squeaking sound when rotating the powder tube but most people who get this tool absolutely love it.
- Dimensions – 2.54 x 18.54 x 22.86 centimeters
- Color – Orange
- Main Materials – Static-free die-cast aluminum
- Type – Manual
- Versatility – Height adjustable, adjustable feed tube, and slow grain feed for accurate measuring
- The feed tube is adjustable
- The trickler height is adjustable
- It comes with an extension nozzle on the tube
- The powder coat finish is very durable
- It’s made from durable material
- The device is heavy so it won’t tip over easily
- Nice and large capacity reservoir
- The gun powder trickler is very easy to use
- Allows for an accurate reloading process
- It doesn’t come with a dust cap
- It can make squeak noises when you rotate the tube
The Lyman E-zee powder trickler is an excellent choice if you need something adjustable. This loader tool is very flexible because the heavy base is height adjustable, the powder tube angle can adjust, and it even comes with a small extension tube so you can use the trickler on a higher scale.
This trickler can be used to load small rounds but it’s preferable for larger caliber bullets since the scoop is a bit large and it lets out a slightly bigger volume of powder compared to other tricklers.
Some folks don’t like the lightweight materials of this trickler, but the weighted design and rubber base help it maintain a steady fit on your loading bench and it isn’t top-heavy despite the larger powder reservoir.
The product is very easy to clean since you can quickly rinse it out before drying it. It can, however, be a bit challenging to spot leftover gunpowder pieces in the reservoir since the entire tool is black with just a chrome-colored funnel.
- Dimensions – 4 x 9 x 9 Inches
- Color – Black
- Main Materials – plastic and metal
- Type – Manual
- Versatility – Very precise (single powder grain at a time) with adjustable height and the larger size is more practical for larger round types
- The manual trickler height is adjustable
- It comes with a nozzle extender
- The nozzle is positioned at an angle that allows for easy powder flow
- The reservoir capacity is ideal for larger rounds
- The base is large and weighted to keep the tool from tipping over
- The powder measuring is very precise
- Much more convenient to use than a powder scoop
- Some find the powder scoop a bit too large for small-caliber bullets and accurate loading
- The plastic design can be a bit unstable on the reloading bench
- The reservoir is black which makes it hard to spot powder residue when cleaning it
Any of these tricklers will be useful in your reload kit. We hope that this guide has helped you locate the best powder trickler based on your needs. If you love this product then you should also have a look at some of the other products we review on GunCleaningHQ.
Our website is packed with buyers guides, useful gun maintenance tips, and weapon gear reviews for products that can help keep you safe when shooting.