Long term exposure to loud noises can harm your hearing, resulting in hearing loss, ear ringing, and difficulties communicating, particularly in noisy environments. Because a single shot from a rifle, shotgun, or handgun during a hunt or at the range can cause serious ear injuries so it’s important that always use the best gun ear protection when shooting.
Noise-induced hearing loss is irreversible, which is why electronic hearing protection is essential if you’re exposed to loud noises. Earbuds and radio headsets may not offer your ears enough protection from the danger of shooting noises.
Hearing protection is your best option when it comes to shooting because you can’t decrease the amount of noise you’re exposed to by reducing the noise level, moving away from the sound, or reducing the amount of time you’re exposed.
Ideal ear protection can differ from person to person. Since hearing protection is something you should use regularly, comfort and efficiency are definitely important factors to consider before making your purchase!
5 Best Gun Ear Protection Options
Here are some of the best gun ear protection options on the market now!
1. Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Earmuff
The Howard Leight Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff provides the best ear safety and protection. This is because they provide distortion-free amplification, which is important for hearing sounds, such as range instructions or having basic conversations, and they’re safe up to 82 decibels.
This earmuff is intended to be used in the field or at the range, and it has low-profile ear cups that won’t get in the way when you’re shooting. The headband is cushioned for extra comfort and has a telescopic design for a personalized fit. The earmuff can even be linked to an MP3 player or another music source using an external audio jack.
The earmuff battery lasts about 350 hours, and to preserve the life of the battery, the automated shut-off feature kicks in after 4 hours. Patented Air Flow Control technology helps provide a compact ear cup design. This electronic earmuff is also compatible with safety eyewear.
- Manufacturer: Howard Leight
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 Inches
- Item Weight: 13.1 Ounces
- Item Model Number: R-01526
- Color: Green
- Material: ABS plastic
- Power Source: Battery powered
- Sound Level: 24 dB
- Average Battery Life: 350 Hours
- Automatic shut-off feature after 4 hours to help save battery life
- Directional microphones provide enhanced communication
- NPR rating of 22 ensures noise reduction
- Adjustable headband provides a more secure fit
- Compact earmuff design makes them convenient for storage
- 350 hour battery life
- May not entirely block all sound
- Volume range is quite low even in the max volume setting
2. Pro For Sho 34dB Shooting Ear Protection
These Pro For Sho Shooting earmuffs are industrial grade. When using noisy power tools, shooting, or even going to concerts, they are guaranteed to safeguard and protect your ears. These earmuffs have been specially designed for a wide range of users with a wide range of demands, ranging from everyday sound protection for those with sensitive hearing to those who work in noisy environments.
Other than for shooting activities, these noise-canceling earmuffs are also ideal for a wide range of outdoor activities, such as landscaping. The earmuffs include an adjustable and cushioned headband for a more comfortable fit, and an option for a smaller design for teenagers or young adults.
The cushioned headband guarantees that you can wear these earmuffs every day without experiencing any discomfort. The earmuffs can also be clamped on the Pro For Sho box whenever not in use, this helps them to maintain the optimum level of elasticity.
- Manufacturer: Mr. Bene Manufacturing Company
- Available Sizes: Small and Large
- Material: HIPS+High Protection Foam
- Sound Level: 34 dB
- Compact design for portability
- Comfortable and ideal for everyday wear
- Adjustable headband provides a perfect fit for everyone
- Great for children who might be sensitive to loud, harmful noises
- Great for noise reduction in loud environments
- Not very flexible when wearing
- Don’t block out all noise
3. Electronic Shooting Earmuffs Ear Hearing Protection Headphones
The purpose of these Electronic Shooting Earmuffs is to reduce the sound of firing noise to better protect your hearing. These earmuffs use a more sophisticated internal chip as well as softer ear cushions. These include built-in amplifiers, which help account for their better stereo system, lifespan, and plush ear cushions.
The volume control button on the earmuffs adjusts the amplification impact according to your needs, allowing you to utilize them in all types of situations. The majority of noise-canceling earmuffs don’t have this feature!
These electronic earmuffs are also made from high-quality materials, meaning they’re built to last and can’t be easily damaged. The body of these earmuffs is completely sealed, allowing for superior active noise cancellation.
- Style: Shooting Earmuffs
- Size: Adjustable
- Product Dimensions: 6.18 x 5.47 x 4.41 Inches
- Item Weight: 14.4 Ounces
- Color: Army Green
- Batteries: 2 AAA batteries
- Battery Cell Type: Alkaline
- Soft ear pads offer increased comfortability
- Stereo sound amplifies sound
- 23 NPR rating
- High-quality material makes them durable
- Design is elegant and appealing
- Volume control adapts to different environments
- Flexible and adjustable
- May not completely block all noise from shotguns and rifles
- Doesn’t have great noise magnification directionally
- Headphone functionality isn’t reliable
4. ClearArmor 2 Pack Safety Shooting Ear Muffs
ClearArmor’s unique sound technology offers superior hearing safety and protection. These earmuffs have special three layer foam that makes them lightweight, comfortable, and noise-dampening.
The cushioned headband on these earmuffs is also adjustable to help accommodate a wider range of head sizes. These earmuffs are definitely engineered to last, with a compact foldable design that allows for easy storage. They also have a snug, secure fit to help keep them on your head better and prevent them from slipping off!
These earmuffs also use SonicSeal technology and SolidBlocker shells. SonicSeal securely joins the SoundBlocker shell to the SoundRing, stopping sound from leaking into the ear cup. The shell is specifically designed to bounce sound from the ear cup.
- Manufacturer: ClearArmor
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.9 x 5.2 Inches
- Item Weight: 9.5 Ounces
- Item Model Number: Ear Muff P2X
- Style: Gun Range
- Material: Plastic
- Special Features: Light
- High quality and durable
- Lightweight and portable
- Foam allows you to wear them comfortably for long hours
- Compact design makes them easy to store
- Adjustable headband can fit various head sizes
- Snug fit design keeps them from falling off
- Exclusive sound technology for ear protection
- Not a very flexible design
- Can’t block out all noise
5. Walker’s Game Ear Razor Slim Electronic Muff
The Walker’s Game Ear Razor Slim Electronic earmuffs were specifically designed to have the smallest possible size without sacrificing the hearing protection and amplification capabilities of the muffs. This Razor series has a 23dB noise reduction rating (NRR), ensuring that your hearing will remain protected without any interference.
The Walker’s new comfort fit headband is also crafted for regular shooting. These muffs come in a variety of colors and even have rubberized cups with razor-thin walls. They’re also omnidirectional and have 2 microphones! At a reaction time of 0.02 seconds, these earmuffs provide sound-activated protection at over 89 decibels.
The volume control button on the earmuffs is on raised ridges to make it easier to navigate even when you’re wearing gloves. There is also a 3.5mm jack for MP3 players, iPods, and other handheld radios.
- Manufacturer: GSM LLC
- Package Dimensions: 10.2 x 8 x 4.1 Inches
- Item Weight: 10.08 Ounces
- Department: Unisex adult
- Batteries: 2 AAA batteries (included)
- Rating: 23 NRR
- Two omnidirectional microphones for sound amplification
- Ultra-low profile ear cups offer a great fit
- 23 NPR rating
- Single knob volume control for easy navigation
- Balanced HD speakers for clearer sound
- Slim folding design makes them portable
- Headband isn’t very adjustable
- May need to double up with earplugs when shooting
Things to Consider When Choosing Gun Ear Protection
The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
Each gun ear protection earmuff has a noise reduction rating. The higher the NRR, the more decibels it cancels, which will yield better results in ear protection effectiveness. Any noise exceeding 120 decibels is likely to cause permanent hearing damage, particularly if it’s persistent or repetitive noise.
While selecting shooting earmuffs, make sure to check that the indicated NRR correctly represents the manufacturer’s decibel reduction promises and decreases the decibel level to the lowest and safest level feasible. Quality ear protection will have at least a 23-decibel NRR, though some will go over 30 decibels.
The Right Fit
An earmuff that doesn’t fit properly will not only be unpleasant, but it’ll need to be adjusted often while you’re wearing it. Frequent adjustments will jeopardize the ear cup seal, resulting in poor noise suppression.
When looking to purchase gun ear protection, it’s best to always go for lightweight versions because they’ll be more pleasant to use for extended periods of time. Furthermore, ear cups made from a flexible material will need less adjusting and make the overall fit better.
Light maintenance may significantly extend the life of gun ear protection for enthusiastic and budget-conscious shooters. Ear cups can get chipped, rigid, or worn out over time, making them unpleasant and less effective. Take into consideration the temperature, humidity, and type of container for your gun ear protection before storing it.
If your ear cups are exposed to excessively hot or low temperatures or humidity between usage, they may get destroyed. Assess the degree of care necessary for maintaining the parts, as well as the expense of possible repairs you might have to make, before making your purchase.
Everyone who shoots outside will encounter bad weather at some point, and no one can always avoid rain or snow, as much as they try. As a result, weather-resistant ear protection is a must!
Although passive ear protection has few difficulties with moisture, electronic solutions are significantly more sensitive to water damage. If you live in a humid area, be sure you have appropriate water-resistant hearing protection.
You’ll understand the importance of having gun ear protection at the range the very first time you pull the trigger without adequate shooting ear protection. Quick, loud sound shocks with an amplitude of more than 120 dB can permanently damage your hearing.
Most guns emit sound waves that are more than 120 dB. A shotgun gunshot is 155 dB, a pistol gunshot is 158 DB, and a rifle gunshot is 158 dB. This means that the comparatively cheap expense of specialized ear protection is an essential investment in your health and quality of life. As a result, good shooting ear protection enhances your shooting range experience.
Using ear protection in an indoor range or when hunting has the extra benefit of enhancing your ability to communicate, as well as your spatial awareness. Additionally, having even better gun ear protection is always a good idea for those occasions when you want to make an intermediate or advanced trip to the range.
We hope this guide was helpful and made your decision-making process easier!
If you are still using ear plugs for protection, check out our article on how to clean it.
Leave a Reply