Have you ever just grabbed the closest duffel bag or paper sack to carry your precious cargo to the range? Why not consider some options to protect your investment that are fairly cheap insurance. A good, sturdy range bag will protect your babies and provide you with plenty of storage for range tools, ammo and accessories. In this article we’ll look at the top five pistol range bags that will set you up for a successful range day.
Why do you need a range bag?
You may be asking yourself why do I need a range bag anyway when I could just use an old backpack or laptop bag. Range bags are purpose built to provide protection and organize all of your essential items to maximize your range time.
What are some potential items for your range bag?
- First aid kit
- Eye protection
- Ear protection
- Bug Spray
- Binoculars or spotting scope
- Screwdriver set
- Bore snake
- Stapler and staples
- Duct tape
- Dummy rounds
- Chamber flags or empty chamber indicators
- Gun mat
- Magazine loader
- Shooting rest bags
- Batteries for electronic ear pro or timers
- Sharpie for marking shot groups
- Ammo can for brass
Top Five Handgun Range Bags
The Osage River Tactical Bag is a nylon bag with three large exterior pockets, as well as a large interior space. Removable dividers are included for the interior. It comes in four colors and includes a shoulder strap. It also comes with rubber feet on the bottom of the bag.
I don’t have any real cons about this bag. It could be a little stiffer and sturdier for my taste, but that may be something you’re alright with. This bag could easily hold a pair of handguns, eyes and ears and over 150 rounds.
- Multiple compartments give you ample space to store your gear. Comes with two adjustable padded dividers that creates three protected compartments. The two spacious exterior zippered pockets for magazine, ammunition, and accessory storage. Also includes a removable pistol pouch
- Constructed of 600D ballistic nylon and heavy duty zippers and pulls
- Shoulder strap included
- Lifetime warranty
- Dimensions: 18”L x 13”W x 7”H
The Orca Tactical Bag is a polyester bag with a large interior, a medium exterior pocket, and four mini exterior pockets. It comes in three colors and a shoulder strap. This bag is very large, with the ability to hold several handguns and hundreds of rounds, as well as the essentials and a few luxuries (snacks or extra magazines). You’ll easily fit 3-4 handguns with ammo for each.
This bag is my overall winner. It hits every mark for me and shows zero cons. The price could be considered a little high compared to the Osage River bag, but I believe by spending a little extra, you get considerable space in return.
- 13 compartments and pockets with double stitched elastic bands
- Constructed with 600D polyester with double
- Lockable YKK zippers on both pouches
- Removable velcro divider in main compartment
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Outer Case: 16″L x 11″W x 9″H
- Main Compartment: 15″L x 7″W x 9″H
The NcStar VISM Range Bag is a slightly smaller bag with a spacious interior and a few magazine slots and a long mesh pocket on the outside of the bag. There are interior pockets that will accommodate extra ammo boxes or magazines, eyewear, etc.. This bag does not include a strap and only comes in black.
If you’re on a tight budget but need a range bag, this is my value pick. While it isn’t as flashy as others and may be lacking in the overall storage department, the price point is ideal.
- Durable PVC construction
- Large single heavy duty zipper
- Heavy duty carry handles
- Interior and exterior compartments
- Dimensions: 13”L x 8”W x 8.7”H
The REEBOW TACTICAL Tactical Gun Range Bag is a nylon bag that has one spacious interior space with a slim but tall front pocket offering several spaces for extra magazines and eyewear. The interior also has dividers, and comes with a shoulder strap and two color options. The con to this bag is the lack of exterior pockets. You can’t hold much outside of the main compartment, other than magazines or protein bars. A couple concerns I have with this bag is the lack of an established company for support and the promise of a lifetime warranty. In the lifetime warranty disclaimer it states to contact them if you have a quality issue within the first six months. That’s not much of a lifetime warranty.
If you’re a light range packer, this is the bag for you, especially for the price. But you may find yourself wishing you had at least a couple extra pockets.
- One large compartment with two moveable dividers
- Two exterior zip down compartments
- 600D durable nylon construction
- Exterior dimensions: 15”L x 12”W x 10”H
- Interior dimensions: 14”L x 8”W x 9”H
The 5-11 Tactical Range Bag is a nylon bag with a large interior, four zipper compartments on the outside and a front compartment with magazine slots. It ships with a shoulder strap and is available in sandstone. This bag is the priciest of the bunch, but is also the more rounded. It is the biggest bag with the more storage space, but it is also the most expensive. One of the best features are the removable ammo and brass totes.
The 5-11 is a high quality bag made by a reputable company. The price on this bag may be justified, but unless you need to take several handguns, multiple sets of eyes and ears, and over 500 rounds of ammunition, you may be able to save some considerable money.
- All-weather 600D nylon
- Divided, padded storage for multiple handguns
- External flap for magazine storage
- Removable ammo and brass totes
- Reinforced handles with straps that encompass bottom of the bag
Obviously you’re not going to purchase every bag on this list so if we had to narrow it down to two it’d be the these two:
Our Top Pick: Orca Tactical Gun Range Bag
Best Budget Pick: NcSTAR VISM Range Bag